Monday, May 11, 2009

Laughter, the Best Medicine

I recently ended up in the neighborhood Emergency Room with a wicked case of Vertigo. I experienced "the spins" eight or so years ago, but not to the extent of what I had this time. I was scared, disoriented and puking without regard to the fact that I even threw up on my shirt. My eldest, a pre-med major in college, met me at the front door of the ER. I was happy I recognized her face and even happier that she could fill out the necessary admin paperwork as I was too swirled to do so. She guided me through triage, where we were met by my younger daughter. Let the games begin!

As in most families, my girls have the same two parents. They are only 18 months apart in age, but they live on different continents. # 1 has taken the college route and is all about medicine. # 2 was a teen mom and has settled in nicely to the wife/mother role. It's what happens when they are together that makes me a little nutty.

Picture if you will - a stretcher with a 45+ year old woman on it being rolled into a room in the ER. On this day, there was only a trauma room available. My eldest is physched to be in a trauma room without the worries of a real life trauma. Even though I am having my own personal trauma, this doesn't matter as I am not bleeding profusely. To # 1, it's all about the stuff! # 2 becomes my mouth piece since #1 is so involved in the workings of the room.

Enter the ER Doc. A nice lady who is asking about my medical history for the 2nd time in one hour. She asks if I have ever suffered a stroke. I point to # 2 and say "no" but she almost gave me one a few years ago. Crap! I think they gave me truth serum along the with nausea medicine. Fast forward two hours and now a real trauma comes in to the room the next to mine. A gunshot victim. Yay! My daughters are enthralled. # 1 is listening to the voices and procedures # 2 wigs out because the victim was found in front of a dumpster. And so it goes.

The crowd in my room grows as I am joined by my younger sister. Soon there is a lively discussion over who gets the comfortable chair. # 1 steps out for Wendy's and my son-in-law brings # 2 spaghetti. Me, I'm happy not be puking anymore. We argue over who calls my mom and at what time. (I think they drew straws for that while I was dosing) My sister loses and has to call mom. The night wears on and on. # 2 is on a rolling stool clearly labeled "Staff Only". She has a blood pressure cuff wrapped around her leg and is looking for a pulse. We hear hospital staff coming to the door, she flies off the stool, trips and does her best to look innocent. # 1, along with my sister, is laughing her ass off and I just want to go home.

One or two more diagnostic tests and I have been sprung. No driving, no working and absolutely no having fun over the next few days. Little does the doctor know that with my girls, fun just happens. No drugs are necessary.

2 comments:

  1. Wow thats crazy! I'm hoping your feeling better now. And I'm sure Mel was way into the room's technology its what happens to science geeks... and Laura... I can just picture her putting a cuff on her leg... its so her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, this post STILL makes me laugh until I cry!

    ReplyDelete