Monday, February 16, 2009

The Replacement

How unusual is it to be able to be okay with a life that has moved on?


Recently, I saw my former flame, aka Mr. Former, with whom I had had a five year relationship. It was the first time our paths had crossed in seven months. Ironically, he had married the very day I saw him and I met his new wife, Mrs. Former. Happily, on the surface, she appears perfect for him. We were surrounded by mutual friends, many of whom warned me upon my arrival, of the nuptials. "They may be joining us". "Are you going to stay"? "Are you alright"? "Are you sorry you didn't marry him"? Good grief, I thought you people knew me. I suspect those of you that do know me realize I would be nothing but the kind, gracious southern woman that my momma taught me to be, bless her heart.


As the evening progressed, Mrs. Former and I had the opportunity to talk. albeit, in the ladies room. She was curious about me. She knew of my meager existence and the time I shared with Mr. Former, but she knew little else. She was surprised that I was friendly, forthcoming, eager to share a small overview of my life with Mr. Former and a down right "nice girl". Guess what, my replacement has many of those same qualities.


I am happy to report that we (she & I) danced, sang and laughed our way through the evening. She, in the arms of her new husband, and me, in the cradle of a Coors Light. Not exactly the same happy ending, but happy none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment